Sometimes, Stonehenge steams at dawn. We know because on our tours we’ve stood there among the great pillars—no crowds, no ropes to hold us back—and felt the sun stream across Salisbury Plain to touch our faces at the same moment it starts to warm the night-cooled sandstone. It is a simple, awesome, hold-your-breath moment. And you’ll experience it yourself on this amazing journey through Southwestern England. Beforehand, we spend several days in the parts of the Cotswolds we love best. We’ll show you our favorite paths that crook through Technicolor cottage gardens, across sweeping meadows and into the loveliest honeyed-stone villages in the land. We’ll dine with friends in their manor house, and time a visit to the tea shop lady when her scones are warm and fresh. This isn’t just the superficially pretty England, it’s the real thing—a rich cultural experience with personal introductions and remarkable access to non-public places. You’ll simply never forget it.
- For a local’s perspective on Bath, stroll with your expert guide past honey-colored Georgian architecture from the iconic Royal Crescent to the majestic Circus, and explore the iconic baths that date to Roman times.
- Get up close to Stonehenge on an ‘Only with Classic Journeys’ experience: enjoy special access when the site is closed to the general public followed by a private picnic breakfast and a champagne toast.
- Walk to (and explore) the historic Blenheim Estate, the birthplace of Winston Churchill.
- Enjoy daily handcrafted walks along scenic country trails, including a memorable footpath along the River Windrush that leads to postcard-perfect Cotswolds villages.
- Eat like (and with) the locals while you learn to bake scones and enjoy an afternoon tea in the home of a baker.
- Stroll through the narrow lanes of Bampton, where the village scenes of “Downton Abbey” were filmed.
- In the heart of Jane Austen country, visit a picturesque organic farm to wander in the gardens and savor a gourmet lunch of local specialties.
- Marvel at the remarkably intact mosaics and relics at the active archeological site of Chedworth Roman Villa.
- Taste and toast the locally made gins at a Cotswolds’ distillery.
- Meet exceptional local artists as you shop in the quintessential English market town of Chipping Campden.
Starting Point:Bath – 1:00 pm – Lobby of the Bath Priory Hotel
Ending Point:Moreton-in-Marsh – 1:00 pm – Rail Station
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Experience the Cotswolds on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region, including their favorite parts of the famed Cotswold Way, scenic country paths past grazing sheep, and along the River Windrush to the honey-colored stone village of Burford.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. With an average of fewer than 10 guests per departure, we enjoy special access to Stonehenge so you can experience the stone circle when the site is closed to the general public, a fascinating guided walk with an expert on English gardens at Hidcote Manor, and a private scone making lesson in the home of a local baker.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the Cotswolds, including a manor house with spa, and a hotel dating to 1565.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes, and history of the places you visit with us in the Cotswolds. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know the Cotswolds more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the village where scenes of “Downton Abbey” were filmed, Winston Churchill’s birthplace, an organic farm and creamery, an active archeological site with its remarkably intact mosaics, and a tasting of locally made gins at a Cotswolds’ distillery.
- Sustainable travel that supports the Cotswolds. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. From tour leaders to village elders to artisans, restaurateurs to hoteliers, we work with the local people to support their livelihoods. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
- Award-winning hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Scotland Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,995
Ireland Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,195
Cornwall Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,715