Machu Picchu is actually in a jungle. Travel by foot along the Inca Trail to the lost city, you approach from above. And the stupendous blocks of stone in its walls are so finely carved that you could barely slip a piece of paper between them. Believe us, Machu Picchu retains the ability to startle and inspire you no matter how many years you’ve thought about visiting. You will get the shivers the first time you see it. On this unforgettable journey, you’ll spend all or part of three days at Machu Picchu (unlike the brief in-and-out visits many tours make). Plus we give you leisurely exposure to the rest of the country as our walking tours to Peru immerse you into its conquistador-tinged history, indestructible Inca architecture and spectacular geography. We’re in the Andes, so there are inevitable up-and-down trails, but we also offer frequent, easier walking options. And our guide is a native Quechua who’ll make you as comfortable in Cusco as you’ll be among mountain villagers and llama herders.
• Acclimate to Cusco’s mountain air in your five-star hotel, a historic 500-year-old mansion
• Enjoy an easy walk through the colonial town to the artists’ quarter
• Walk through the spectacular Urubamba Valley to the mountaintop ruins of Pisac
• Savor a traditional lunch at a gracious hacienda Discover the Sacred Valley as you walk to a remote Andean village
• Learn about ancient ceramic and weaving techniques
• Visit a remote village school and meet with the young students
• Choose how you get your first jaw-dropping views of the famed Machu Picchu: hike the most cinematic stretch of the Inca Trail or ride the first-class train following the curves of the Urubamba River to Aguas Calientes
• Enjoy two leisurely days at Machu Picchu to see the site on your own as well as with your guide
• Take an orchid or birdwatching walk, admiring the local flora and fauna
Starting Point:Cusco – 1:30 pm – Lobby of Palacio Del Inka
Ending Point:Cusco – 5:00 pm – Airport
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 8 days
- Starting at $7,345
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,245
- 8 days
- Starting at $8,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,995