Entering a desert encampment after a sunset camel ride, you see only the glowing Berber tents carpeted with kilims. Cumin-scented stew simmers over a campfire. And away from the native singers and the circle of light, the sky is simply amazing. Not until a morning breeze stirs your tent’s flap do you see in full light how stunning your desert setting is. Our Morocco travel adventure is full of surprises and this is just one of the many we share with you. Colossal Saharan dunes. Cool cedar-forested mountains. Narrow gorges with ribbon-like oases in their depths. And the Kasbah? It’s the word for fortress and a restored one from the Middle Ages is actually one of our hotels. The marvelous news is that, for all its surprises and adventure, Morocco travel also delivers everything you expect. We take in the vivid, noisy markets as we travel. Morocco offers warm hospitality from a culture accustomed to the diversity of Berber, Arab, Jewish, African and Mediterranean influences. You may also be surprised to know that the climate is moderate; this is the coolest and most welcoming of the African nations.
We spend the first two nights in Fès, Morocco. Guided tours here include a fascinating exploration of the labyrinthine 9th century Medina and dine at La Maison Bleue, one of Morocco’s finest restaurants.
DAYS 3-4 - ERFOUD / MERZOUGA
Crossing the Atlas Mountains to Erfoud (1 night), the landscape changes from cedar forest to pre-Saharan hills. The next day, travel by Land Rover into the desert where you have the incredible option to climb on to your own camel for a cinematic ride to the 1,000-foot-high sand dunes of Merzouga. As the sun sets, we are welcomed into the land of the Blue Men - Berber tribesmen - where you spend a night in a beautiful tented encampment with all of the amenities (1 night).
DAYS 5-6 - OUARZAZATE
Following the desert’s edge, we enter the spectacular gorges of the Todra River for a scenic amble and a memorable lunch at a Berber family home. In Ouarzazate (1 night), our hotel rooms are carved from stone and overlook a wind-sculpted landscape that offers fascinating walks.
DAYS 7-9 - MARRAKESH
The road to Marrakesh (3 nights) traverses Morocco’s highest mountain pass. En route, we’ll visit a remarkable clay city on the caravan trail to Timbuktu. In Marrakesh, there are lush gardens to explore…snake charmers and fortune tellers…and shopping in the world-famous souks for carpets, tribal jewelry and Moroccan crafts. On our final evening, we’re treated to cocktails and dinner in an elegant private residence.
Starting Point:Fès – 9:30 am – Lobby of hotel
Ending Point:Marrakesh – 8:00 am – Marrakesh hotel lobby
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- 8 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip, handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 9 days
- Starting at $0
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,895
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,495
- 9 days
- Starting at $7,295