Iceland is rich with more cinematic landscapes and incredible experiences per square inch than anywhere. Game of Thrones doesn’t even do it justice! Think waterfalls, glaciers, black sand beaches and lava fields covered with insanely green spongy moss. For every ice cave, there's a geothermal pool. The Northern Lights curtain the night sky. Activities range from tectonic snorkeling to horseback riding, spectacular coastal and countryside walks to puffin watching. And true to Classic Journeys style of travel, your guides are dyed-in-the-wool native Icelanders, descended from shark fishermen and 9th century Vikings! So, you get true connections to local culture…not to mention the expertise that assures you’ll get away from the crowds to experience Iceland at its very best. On several days we offer you a choice of activities — think of it as “choose your adventure” — all at no extra cost. And at the end of every day in this amazing land, you’ll nestle into some of the country’s finest luxury hotels, and refuel with world-class Atlantic-and-farm-to-table cuisine. If you love adventure travel, welcome to paradise!
- Start a nightly ritual of enjoying the midnight sun in the summer months and checking the pitch-black skies for the Northern Lights the rest of the year.
- Choose your adventure — hiking boots or flippers — and either slip into an insulated wet suit (also called a 'dry suit') to snorkel in the waters between the Eurasian and American tectonic plates or follow a lava flow for a technicolor hike to a Viking meeting place dating to the year 930.
- Join expert glacier guides for a hike on the tongue of a glacier to explore the caves and crevices carved into the ancient aquamarine ice, before you stop for a once-in-a-lifetime glacier picnic.
- Saddle up to ride the short, sturdy, shaggy Icelandic horses to a hidden waterfall or enjoy an incredible coastal walk from black sand beaches along a cape to a headland where you'll find Viking ruins.
- Explore a farm that's been owned by the same family for seven generations and join your hosts for a walk on scenic trails to the sheep barn where you'll often find lambs.
- Strike out for a walk along Glacier Lagoon, punctuated by marooned icebergs that look like diamonds.
- See firsthand how mythology and legend combine with geology to create Icelandic culture as you walk in a setting straight out of Games of Thrones along a black sand beach with views to Reynisdrangar, three sharp black pillars that burst from the waves offshore.
- Steam (and chill out) in the famed Blue Lagoon, a steaming lake filled with almost 2.5 million gallons of neon blue geothermal water.
- Hike up the tongue of a magnificent lava flow to the rim of a volcano, where you can see more than 20 other volcanos in the landscape around you.
Starting Point:Reykjavik – 9:00 am – Lobby of the Alda Hotel
Ending Point:Reykjavik – 9:00 am – Lobby of Alda Hotel
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
- Experience Iceland on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths on the island, including hidden valleys that lead to jaw-dropping waterfalls, black sand beaches to Viking gravesites, and on glaciers to gourmet picnics.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who are descended from 9th-century Vikings and become your well-connected friends. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, sharing their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of Iceland.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special ‘only with Classic Journeys’ access to experiences that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in some of the finest and most distinctive accommodations in Iceland, including perfectly-sited hotels that provide unrivaled access to your explorations and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of Iceland. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know Iceland more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the glaciers, waterfalls, ice caves, lagoons, villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Regenerative Travel that supports the history, culture, people and places you’re visiting with us in Iceland. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 8 days
- Starting at $6,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,095
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,895