Watching the sun's first rays tint the Taj Mahal saffron and coral? Or walking with a shepherd on a quiet country lane. As you look back on India, you can decide which was more memorable. India is fantastical—and you’ll visit sumptuous palaces and temples for the Instagrammable proof. India is intensely human too, but visitors who only see the raucous cities miss the point. So we arrange one-of-a-kind countryside walks that introduce you to villagers, farmers and rural life…as well as descendants of royal families, sari- and turban-tying experts, and artisans. India is a rush of mind-bending contradictions, from the aromatic clangor of local markets to the deep serenity of some of the world’s most lavish hotels. Most of all, your India is epic. And that's where Classic Journeys comes in with a thoughtful, well-edited itinerary that handles the complex logistics and frees you to absorb an amazingly broad wealth of experiences.
You meet in Delhi (1 night). After a walking tour of the Old City, you switch to rickshaws for a ride around India’s largest mosque. You may sample street food in the Chor Bazaar, but save room for tonight’s dinner in a private home.
DAY 2 – AGRA
In Agra (1 night), you're not content just to see the Taj Mahal—your hotel overlooks it for uncrowded access at dusk and dawn.
DAYS 3-4 – JAIPUR
You'll take the road to Jaipur (2 nights) through the villages of Rajasthan. Then you’ll visit the Amber Fort and pause for refreshments at a farmhouse.
DAY 5-6 – DEOGARH
The city's main landmark is Deogarh Mahal (2 nights), a 17th century palace. You'll board a train for a ride from Phulad to Kamblighat to take a look at everyday life in this remote region.
DAYS 7-8 – UDAIPUR / DEPART
In Udaipur (2 nights), the Venice of the East, you’ll stroll from your gleaming hotel to explore the city’s white marble palace complex. Then you shop the spice and vegetable markets with a chef, followed by a cooking lesson in her kitchen. On your final day, you part company in Udaipur.
Starting Point:Delhi – 9:00 am – Lobby of Shangri-La Eros Delhi
Ending Point:Udaipur – – Lobby of Oberoi Udaivilas
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
$325: This tour includes flights between Jaipur and Udaipur for a supplemental cost. (subject to change)
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners and 1 cooking instruction
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 10 days
- Starting at $6,495
- 9 days
- Starting at $9,395
- 7 days
- Starting at $6,759
- 8 days
- Starting at $5,820