In all of Bhutan, there is not a single stoplight. Gross National Happiness is an official measure of the country’s well-being. And the number of foreign visitors is strictly limited to protect the culture and environment. This is a destination on a higher plane in so many ways! Of course, there’s the Himalayan factor, tucked as it is into a niche in the soaring chain. Bhutan is also one of the world’s most Buddhist countries, and its historic dzongs (monasteries) perch serenely over sweeping expanses of terrain. Lush valleys are carpeted with rice and mustard fields and criss-crossed by footpaths. For an insider’s look at this heavenly land, you’ll meet the Bhutanese farmers, wood carvers, yak-herders and mask dancers. To make your Asian adventure even more remarkable, join us for a 5-day/4 night extension to India’s dramatic Darjeeling region.
From your Asian arrival point of Bangkok or Delhi, we fly you to Paro. The route to the capital of Thimphu (2 nights) encapsulates Bhutan: terraced rice fields and lush river valleys. On a forest path, you pass pilgrims and pack ponies en route to 12th century Tango Goemba. At an arts and crafts school, you'll learn how skills in everything from embroidery to woodcarving are taught to preserve the country’s heritage.
DAY 3 - PUNAKHA
On a valley walk through rice paddies, you’ll meet the rural villagers of Pana and visit the scenic Temple of the Divine Madman. Layap yak-herders descend from the mountains to the winter capital of Punakha (1 night). You’ll see them and the impressive monastery that sits at the juncture of the Pho Chhu and Mo Chhu rivers.
DAYS 4-7 - PARO
In season, vast pink and white forests of rhododendron fill the views near Paro (3 nights) as you take the trail to the spectacular (and spectacularly-sited) Takstang (Tiger’s Nest) Monastery, perched on a cliff at the valley’s edge. To experience true Bhutanese culture, you’ll visit a traditional farmhouse…enjoy a mask dance performance…and cheer at an archery match, the country’s passionate national sport. You’ll also have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to witness the lighting of 108 butter lamps in an ancient blessing ceremony.
Starting Point:Paro – – Paro Airport (PBH)
Ending Point:Paro – – Paro Airport (PBH)
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
This trip includes internal flights from Bangkok, Thailand to Paro, Bhutan round-trip, which are priced separately from the land tour. The total cost for the internal flights is approximately $955 per person. If you prefer to fly through Delhi, India, we can make these flight arrangements for you as well. Please note: Classic Journeys will issue your Bhutan Visa (issued 3-5 days prior to trip departure).
- 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 6 dinners
- Airport transfers in Paro on Day 1 and Day 7
- Bhutan Visa (issued 3-5 days prior to trip departure)
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 10 days
- Starting at $5,495
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,995
- 9 days
- Starting at $6,595
- 8 days
- Starting at $5,595