This is a Central American eco-vacation taken to beautiful and fascinating extremes. You experience rainforests teeming with keel-billed toucans, ocelots, and spider monkeys on great walks with naturalists. Out of those jungles rise imposing Mayan pyramids, like the one you climb at Tikal. At Ambergris Caye and Hol Chan Marine Reserve, you go snorkeling or kayaking on the world’s second largest barrier reef. Every day, the variety of nature and local culture is truly spectacular, from a soaring cave (absolutely no spelunking required) to a chocolate making demonstration on a cacao plantation. And lodgings in both countries offer tropical comfort at its best, whether you’re tucked into the heart of a private nature reserve or sprawled alongside a gleaming white Caribbean beach.
We meet in Belize City, and head out into the Cayo Rainforest region for a visit to a cacao plantation. In the morning, we take a horseback ride (or a walk if you prefer) to visit the Mayan pyramids of Xunantunich and a massive limestone cavern. In San Antonio, we’ll meet the local women who preserve ancient traditions of making ceramics as well as grinding corn for the tortillas we enjoy for lunch.
DAYS 3-4 - TIKAL
Crossing into Guatemala, we check into a boutique eco-lodge with its own 200-acre nature preserve. And we’ll boat across a lagoon to an island so we can meet its howler monkey colony. In the morning, we’ll visit legendary Tikal and climb to the top of the western hemisphere’s tallest pyramid. Descendants of the Maya live on Flores Island, and we’ll stroll the narrow streets, do a little shopping and have dinner there.
DAYS 5-7 - AMBERGRIS CAYE
A short flight takes us back to Belize and Ambergris Caye at the edge of the world’s second largest barrier reef. Located right on the beach, our luxury resort is the perfect starting point for activities that are all included at no extra cost. We’ll do a little fishing and have lunch on our friend’s catamaran. From the deck, we’ll go snorkeling within arm’s reach of sea turtles, docile nurse sharks and rays at Hol Chan Marine Reserve.
Starting Point:Belize City – 1:00 pm – Radison For George Hotel lobby
Ending Point:San Pedro – 9:00 am – Victoria House
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
This trip includes an internal flight which is priced separately from the land tour. The total cost for the internal flight is approximately $395 per person.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,495
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,495
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,995
- 7 days
- Starting at $0