Half the people we know have cruised to Alaska. The other half plans to. But as much as we love a cruise, it just seems a shame to float right past some of the most spectacular landscapes on earth. After all, the Kenai Peninsula offers a range of wonderful walking options that don’t require “bush” skills. There’s the world’s most northerly rain forest…Exit Glacier where a scenic path allows us to experience its awesome scale up-close…Resurrection Bay with its humpback whales and orcas…the wildflower meadows too far from shore to ever be spotted by a landing party. With Classic Journeys, you’ll see it all—and you’ll meet local fishermen, naturalists and other friends. Accommodations include historic lodges and hotels. Even if we don’t offer a 2 a.m. dessert buffet, we think you’ll take home equally happy memories of a lakeside salmon-bake followed by fresh-picked blueberries. And then you’ll know you’ve truly touched Alaska.
We gather in Anchorage and begin with a warm-up walk on a scenic coastal path with views of three mountain ranges including Denali, North America’s highest peak. After a spectacular drive to Mt. Alyeska (1 night), we take a forest walk past a series of waterfalls and end the afternoon at the state’s richest gold mine where we can still pan for gold.
DAYS 2-3 - SEWARD
Our hotel in Seward (2 nights) is ideally located in the scenic harbor town with views of Resurrection Bay. We’ll visit Alaska's famous SeaLife Center, and save time for a breathtaking boat trip into the Kenai Fjords.
DAYS 4-6 - HOMER
We’ll watch for moose, bear and caribou as we drive into Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, then offer you the option of a gentle river-rafting excursion or riverside walk. We’ll settle into our lodge in Homer (2 nights) in time to watch the local halibut fishermen return and unload their catch. After breakfast, we ferry to the starting point of a walk on the fringes of Alaskan wilderness. On a final day we visit local artists' farmstead and art studios before parting company in Homer.
Starting Point:Anchorage – 1:00 pm – Lobby of Hotel Captain Cook
Ending Point:Homer – 1:00 pm – Homer
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,795
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,495
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,595
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,495