The Ring of Kerry. The Killarney Lakes. You may have heard of them. But that’s just where Classic Journeys begins. We’ll also take easy walks on the high peninsulas and wild seashores. You’ll get a not very useful but absolutely fascinating lesson in how farmers cut peat. There’s optional golf on spectacular links. And for the name alone—McGillicuddy’s Reeks—we love Ireland’s highest mountain range, and we’ll show you why. Maybe you can tell: Ireland makes us happy. It’s stunningly beautiful. The people are even warmer and more good-humored than the cliché. And from stately Killarney to sheep-clogged country lanes overlooking the sea, you’ll get a complete and memorable taste of Irish life.
DAYS 1-2 – KILLARNEY
We meet in Killarney and take a brief ride to Torc Waterfall for an easy warm-up walk in Killarney National Park. Glaciers carved the way for the beautiful and gentle footpath we’ll take through the Gap of Dunloe en route to lunch at Lord Brandon’s cottage. Captivated by story-telling boatmen, we sail across the Killarney Lakes to our manor house hotel in Killarney town. After dinner, we’ll drop in on the local pub for some traditional music and dance.
DAYS 3-6 – KENMARE / KILLARNEY
Next, our friends will tell us about their herd of a thousand mountain sheep that have been carefully bred for over 150 years. Nearby, we’ll share with you a favorite island walk past colonies of seabirds to an ancient ruined monastery. Before parting company at the Killarney rail station, we’ll enjoy one last walk, leading us to Muckross House and Gardens, as well as 15th century Muckross Abbey.
Starting Point:Killarney – 12:00 pm – Great Southern Killarney lobby
Ending Point:Killarney – 1:00 pm – Rail Station
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip, handle behind-the-scenes logistics and are there to help with anything
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,695
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,995
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,715
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,715