When the British decide to stride out on a country walk, they’re likely to head for Cornwall. Who are we to disagree? On our Cornwall walking tours, the well-established footpaths are some of the finest in the civilized world. The sea is Mediterranean blue. The headlands offer fine trails with terrific views punctuated by lighthouses. This is, after all, the neighborhood of Land’s End where quiet coves once harbored infamous pirates and smugglers. You’ll find history and legend around every Cornish corner. There’s Tintagel, according to legend the birthplace of King Arthur. Like an offshore mirage, St. Michael’s Mount rises above the bay, drawing pilgrims (and us). And everywhere, cozy villages, warm friends and—we confess—the occasional cream tea with scones and jam and clotted cream always leave us feeling very at home.
A short ride from the Penzance train station, we settle into Mousehole (3 nights), a beautiful Cornish village with views across the bay to St. Michael's Mount. We’ll take the quintessential coast walk, surrounded by banks of golden gorse, azure water, grey granite cliffs and wide skies. There’s time for shopping and, in season, a performance at the Minack amphitheater carved into the rock.
Depending on the tides, we ferry or walk to the former Benedictine monastery on St. Michael’s Mount. Following a morning visit to the Victorian cathedral in Truro, we’ll amble through the mysterious gardens and ancient woodlands of the Lost Gardens of Heligan.
DAYS 4-7 - FOWEY / BODMIN
Fowey (pronounced Foy and our home for 3 nights) is in the heart of Daphne du Maurier country. It’s also the center of the region’s lively maritime trade, which is ours to discover by foot with a local friend.
On to Land’s End, where we meet up with a local ecologist guide who escorts us to Zennor, where traces of Stone and Bronze Age works are still visible. And no Cornish visit is complete without an exploration of Tintagel Castle. Whether you believe the Arthurian legends or not, there’s no denying the haunting beauty of this place. On our last morning, we wander the gardens of Lanhydrock House before parting company in Bodmin for trains to London.
Starting Point:Mousehole – 3:00 pm – Lobby of The Old Coastguard Hotel
Ending Point:Bodmin – 2:00 pm – Bodmin Parkway Rail Station
Why Choose Classic Journeys
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,695
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,195
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,715