We love the wide-screen scale of the Scottish Highlands. Great heather-covered moors roll into a broad, blue horizon. Ruined castles stand watch over silvery lochs. There’s a wonderful wildness to it all. But for all of that sweep and solitude, it’s the close-ups of local life that we remember best. You’ll meet the shepherd whose choreographed collies steer a flock with fluid grace. We walk with a naturalist along a windswept North Sea estuary famous for its salmon runs. And we’ll also introduce you to fascinating folks like the cashmere weavers of Elgin…the whisky aficionados at an artisanal distillery…and the groundskeepers who manicure a 600-year-old golf course to within a micron of perfection. Throughout, you’ll spend your nights in lovely country house hotels, and enjoy a wide range of walks from canal towpaths to Edinburgh’s lively High Street. We suspect you’ll join our honorary clan of travelers who count the Scottish Highlands as one of their favorite destinations ever.
Our walking tour of Scotland begins in Glasgow. A drive along Loch Lomond into the Highlands brings us to Inveraray where we take a guided tour of Inveraray Castle before arriving in Inverness (3 nights). At Loch Ness, we visit Urquhart Castle and go for a cruise, followed by a scenic walk in a Caledonian forest.
We strike out to explore historic Culloden Moor…meet the craftsmen at a cashmere mill…and go wildlife watching with a naturalist on the shores of Spey Bay. We’ll spend a morning with a shepherd and his amazing team of collies and take a path from Pitlochry into the quiet Scottish countryside.
DAYS 4-7 - ST. ANDREWS / EDINBURGH
St. Andrews (3 nights) is the legendary home of golf. Here, we enjoy a guided walk on the 600-year-old Old Course. (We can also advise you on making advance reservations to play on these amazing links.) We’ll visit Falkland Palace, the country residence of Mary, Queen of Scots, and we’ve arranged a whisky tasting at an artisanal distillery.
Our arrival in Edinburgh leaves time for an expedition into this compact city. We ascend to Edinburgh Castle, towering over the capital's heart, and walk The Royal Mile.
Starting Point:Glasgow – 9:00 am – Indigo Hotel
Ending Point:Edinburgh – 1:00 pm – Edinburgh downtown hotels & rail station
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.