In Nova Scotia, we keep imagining there's a National Geographic adventure travel cameraman nearby. Every moment is so beautiful, it’s hard to believe that no one is getting it on film. Consider the natural history. This is the place of 45-foot tides in the Bay of Fundy, great gatherings of whales, tumbled coastlines and successions of migrating birds. Less predictably, this maritime province is a melting pot that never quite melted. The French Acadians you may know about, and the English—but what about the Greeks, the Gaels and the Germans? They’re all here and they’re all mad for festivals. The fishing villages are jigsaw puzzle-perfect…and absolutely authentic. Our walks range from candlelit tours of some of the oldest towns in North America, to spectacular coastal footpaths and woodland trails where the native Mi’kmaq (or Micmac) made their home for thousands of years. Atlantic currents make Nova Scotia travel milder than you may have realized and its northern latitudes make for extra-long summer days perfect for enjoying it all.
- Explore Halifax, one of Canada’s first English settlements, on foot at eye level
- Visit the quaint fishing village of Peggy’s Cove with its iconic lighthouse
- Walk through history in 350-year-old Lunenburg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Follow a nature trail at Ovens Natural Park to the famous sea caves and cliffs
- Board the LaHave Ferry for a walk along Green Bay Beach and a picnic lunch of local specialties
- Count the lighthouses along the coast while you sail on a 48 ft wooden ketch
- Enjoy an afternoon walk to the weathered fishing village of BlueRocks
- Visit Fort Point, a National Historic Site, to learn about Acadian history in Canada
- Explore Kejimkujik National Park, the traditional home of the native Mi'kmaq tribe
- Spot wildlife along woodland trails surrounded by 300-year-old Eastern Hemlocks, Nova Scotia's oldest trees
- Visit the Historic Gardens in Annapolis that overlooks the scenic tidal river valley
- Go for a wildlife walk on remote Briar Island (known for its orchids, migratory birds, and whale-watching)
- In Digby, the scallop capital of the world, visit the grand Scallop Fleet
- Immerse yourself in the history of Port Royal on an insightful guided walk
Starting Point:Halifax, Nova Scotia – 1:00 pm – Lobby of Prince George Hotel
Ending Point:Halifax – 2:00 pm – Lobby of Prince George Hotel
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.