Practice saying: “I’m vacationing in the south of France this year.” Wonderful as it sounds, it’s even better in real life. Think quiet country trails that wind through cherry orchards beneath rustic perched villages. In season, purple ribbons of lavender drape the hills. A friend (who also happens to be your local guide) insists on drizzling your warm bread with the award-winning olive oil she presses herself. You bask in the legendary sunlight, in the very landscapes Cezanne and van Gogh painted. The cultural landmarks are inspiring too – from the Roman’s Pont du Gard aqueduct to serene Sénanque Abbey. And fair warning: on our walking tour in Provence you can get very used to lunches that end with ripe figs, goat cheese and a final sip of chilly rosé. This is Provence at its purest, and you will never forget it.
- Discover the pope's other home during a guided walk around Avignon that includes an exploration of the 14th century Papal Palace.
- Walk countryside footpaths to the soaring aqueduct of the Pont du Gard and the Roman theatre in Orange, one of the best-preserved structures dating back to ancient times.
- From your hotel in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, venture into the renowned vineyards and enjoy a private wine tasting.
- Marvel at Carrieres de Lumieres, maybe the world's finest artistic sound and light show in the dramatic rock quarry in historic Le Baux.
- Luxuriate in your hotel retreat nestled in the countryside of St. Rémy with its own pool and private estate.
- Cook with Chef Alain Nicolet, who has earned Michelin stars for 16 years...and this year, you get to see why.
- Time a morning walk through the lavender fields to picturesque Sénanque Abbey, followed by a visit to the classic hilltown of Gordes.
- Follow in Cezanne's footprints through Aix-en-Provence.
Starting Point:Avignon – 3:00 pm – Hotel d'Europe lobby
Ending Point:Aix-en-Provence – 3:00 pm – TGV Station
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners, and 1 cooking instruction
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,895
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,595
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,925
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,715