Everything we love best about France is abundant in the scenic southwest. Great wine? Bordeaux wine vintners travel their limestone hillsides to package their harvest into remarkable reds—and we taste our way through their treasures. History? The Vezere River Valley’s cave paintings are some of the earliest signs of modern man. Culture? From the 13th to the 15th centuries, the Dordogne was the border between France and England; the fortifications, châteaux and villages built so close together for defense now make for lovely, compact walking tours in Dordogne. Along the way, we spend time with artisans, tradesmen and even a truffle hunter. And the lifestyle? Think of yourself at one of the loveliest inns we’ve ever discovered, strolling by your 13th century millpond before dining on a country stew and crème brûlée by candlelight. If you love to lose yourself in the life of the places you visit, this is the perfect experience for you.
• Meet in the city of Bordeaux for a morning walk in this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage City
• Visit the ancient village of St. Emilion and the gardens of Château de Marquessac
• Walk through a valley studded with the fortifications of Domme, Castelnaud, and Commarque Castle
• Visit the stunning manicured gardens of Château de Marquessac
• Go truffle-hunting with our ami Edouard and savor lunch of a classic truffle omelet
• Stroll the picture-perfect vineyards, punctuating your scenic walks with a tasting of the region’s finest wines
• Walk in the Vezere Valley to view 27,000-year-old cave art in a site not open to the public
• Stroll and shop in the tiny villages on the river’s bank
• Visit the Lascaux II caves before parting company in Brive
Starting Point:Bordeaux – 10:00 am – Hotel Burdigala lobby
Ending Point:Brive – 12:50 pm – Rail Station
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It’s why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.