If you’ve ever wondered how it would be to time-travel, this compact visit to the Czech Republic, Austria and Hungary is for you. In Prague, Vienna and Budapest, you’ll enjoy expertly guided walking tours that explore these one-time capitals of the Habsburg Empire whose spires and castles create the continent’s most inspiring skylines. Out in the countryside, the sights are just as amazing. Powder-blue cathedrals leap up from the heart of valley towns. Incredibly intact villages are so perfectly preserved that the U.N. recognizes them as World Heritage Sites. Strolling through wide-open farmland, you’ll be forgiven if you feel you’ve stepped back into feudal times. Whether you’re sipping wine from the terraced vineyards along the Danube valley or hitching a ride on a friendly farmer’s tractor, you’ll marvel that these places still exist. And you’ll bring home with you a rich slice of Europe’s life and history that most travelers never see.
Imperial Prague (1 night) is one of Europe’s most beautiful cities, and after meeting we’ll spend an easy afternoon discovering its bridges, cobblestone alleyways and magnificent Old Town.
DAYS 2-3 – CESKY KRUMLOV
The next day we visit with artisans at a local brewery for a tasting. Telc and Cesky Krumlov (2 nights) are remarkably preserved villages now recognized as historic sites. We’ll explore both and take a beautiful walk through the rolling grasslands to Rozmberk Castle.
DAYS 4-5 – DURNSTEIN
Following the old Habsburg trade routes we enter Austria and the lush Wachau region along the Danube River. Through fields of flax, we walk to a paper mill and the serene monastery of Zwettl. The castle where Richard the Lionhearted was held hostage during the Crusades towers over baroque Durnstein (2 nights), one of Austria’s finest villages. Of course we explore the ruins. After enjoying the Austrian countryside on a vineyard walk, we cruise the beautiful Danube.
DAYS 6-8 – BUDAPEST
Passing through fertile farmland, we arrive in Vienna. Our guide loves showing off its great sights like the circular boulevard known as the Ring and colorful, flavorful Naschmarkt where you can graze through the food and produce stands to construct a typical lunch. Later, we proceed to Budapest (2 nights) where the day ends with a promenade along the Danube. In a fascinating daylong exploration, we ramble from the Royal Palace in Buda to Europe’s largest synagogue and a district overflowing with cafes and musicians in Pest. On our final morning, we part company after breakfast with time for you to shop or explore on your own.
Starting Point:Prague – 10:00 am – Lobby of Hotel Pariz
Ending Point:Budapest – 9:00 am – Lobby of Prestige Hotel Budapest
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- Award-winning hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch and 7 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.