On this earth, we have never seen anywhere more beautiful than the southern coast of Croatia. Even the grandeur of Dubrovnik—for 500 years the peer of Venice—didn’t prepare us for the simple, sweeping vistas along the Adriatic. We recommend going now, before the growing buzz attracts the crowds. Today, you can still spend an hour or two on a farm trail between the aquamarine sea and a patchwork of tiny fields with a scattering of goats—and never see another visitor. Again and again, you’ll see a red-tiled roof or a gorgeous little bay and imagine for a moment that you’re in Provence or on the Italian coast. But this is definitely Croatia; adventure will find you on leisurely walking tours where the tempo is slower, more peaceful. And you’ll find it incredibly easy to engage with the locals, whether our friends who run a family vineyard or the lacemaker who invites us into her workshop. This is our newest favorite destination and we are convinced that you will agree.
We meet in Dubrovnik (3 nights) for a warm-up walk in this lovely city that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Over dinner at our favorite restaurant, you can try such local specialties as sautéed squid or seafood risotto. A coastal walk along scenic shepherds' paths and past stands of cypress leads to Cavtat, a gorgeous seaside village where there's time for a leisurely lunch at a quayside café, shopping or even a swim. The next day, we ferry to Lokrum, one of Dalmatia's loveliest islands, to wander its lush sub-tropical nature trails.
The Peljesac Peninsula is Croatia's Napa Valley—the perfect chance for a wine-tasting lunch preceded by a vineyard walk from a monastery that is home to just two monks.
DAYS 4-7 - HVAR / SPLIT
Then it's on to the beautiful harborside town of Hvar (3 nights). From this base, we'll walk through lavender fields…visit an olive mill for a demonstration of ancient pressing technique (and an oil-tasting)…and accept an invitation from friends at one of the country's oldest agriturismos in Milna for an amazing lunch of local specialties. On our final day, we ferry to Split for an exploration of Diocletian's Palace before parting company.
Starting Point:Dubrovnik – 2:00 pm – Lobby of Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik
Ending Point:Split – 1:00 pm – Split city center
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip, handle behind-the-scenes logistics and are there to help with anything
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,795
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,095
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,295
- 7 days
- Starting at $4,895