Provence is a food lover’s dream par excellence. Imagine walking in thyme-scented countryside, ambling home from the market with mesh bags full of amazing produce, and pouring an extra splash of wine to prolong an evening on the terrace. You’ll live the Provençal lifestyle for a week in a captivating sampling of the region’s finest small hotels, most engaging locals, and most delicious cuisine. Every day, there’s something new as you visit hilltop villages and walk to Roman ruins and an ochre quarry. Best of all, the week includes four cooking instruction sessions. You’ll get tips and secrets to Provençal cooking from a local chef…meet the farmers and artisans for whom the area is justifiably famous…visit local markets…and be welcomed to a private wine-tasting at Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s finest cellar. Most of all, you’ll get a complete and very personal taste of life in the sunny, storied south of France.
Meet in the walled city of Avignon, explore the 14th century Papal Palace, and settle into your Relais & Chateau hotel. Pay a guided visit to the Arles of Vincent Van Gogh and explore the seaside Camargue region - home to wild horses and flamingos - and enjoy an unforgettable cooking lesson. Your next lovely hotel in Noves is the perfect starting point for forays into the Luberon - picturesque Gordes, ochre-colored Roussillon, and a Michelin-starred restaurant.
DAYS 4-6 - UCHAUX / CHATEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE
In St. Rémy-de-Provence, you'll spend a morning at the weekly market to shop like the locals. Lovely strolls lead to the Romans’ Pont du Gard aqueduct…a visit to the vineyards and cellars of Châteauneuf du Pape…and a cooking instruction at a classic Provençal restaurant. After lunch overlooking the Rhone valley, you'll amble through lovely Séguret before parting company in Avignon.
Starting Point:Avignon – 3:00 pm – TGV Rail Station
Ending Point:Avignon – 4:50 pm – TGV Rail Station
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners and 3 cooking instructions
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.