Come home from one of our tours of Normandy and Brittany and you’ll tell everyone you know about the day you walked to Mont-St.-Michel. The cathedral-capped island floats on water—at least until the epic tide recedes to reveal the sandy seabed. Then, as the faithful have done for centuries, we’ll have the unique opportunity to explore one of France’s most glorious landmarks on foot. True, the provinces of Brittany and Normandy have their apple orchards and salt-meadow sheep flocks and picture-book villages deep in the woods. And we’ve planned beautiful walks among them. But like the people and history of this region, we always seem to come back to the sea. To explore coastlines that have seen invasions from Iron Age Celts to D-Day’s Allied Forces. To stroll in quaint ports that launched the Norman conquest of the British Isles. And to feast in restaurants where great platters of fresh oysters, lobsters and Coquilles St.-Jacques are standard fare. So much beauty, in the shadow of so much history, warmed by a lively hospitality makes this a truly unforgettable journey.
- Meet in coastal Brittany, to explore the countryside and villages around Mont Dol and sample the seafood on the panoramic seacoast near the oyster-farming center of Cancale.
- Roam the 6th century seaport of St. Malo, walking spectacular seaside trails and even taking a lesson in Breton cooking.
- Time our visit to Mont-St.-Michel, one of France’s premiere landmarks, so that like centuries of pilgrims, we can explore the tidal flats on foot to experience this glorious fortress.
- Walk through the classic Norman countryside — apple orchards, wooded valleys, dairy farms and quaint villages — and pause to taste calvados, the local apple brandy.
- Spend a remarkable day exploring on foot coastal walks at the coastal sites of more recent battles — the D-Day beaches of Normandy — including Pointe du Hoc, the American cemetery and Omaha Beach.
- Wake at our château hotel and visit the legendary 230-foot Bayeux tapestry.
- Enjoy a guided walking tour of Honfleur; the birthplace of Impressionism.
Starting Point:St. Malo – 10:00 am – Le Nouveau Monde Hotel & Spa lobby
Ending Point:Deauville – 12:00 pm – Trouville-Deauville Rail Station
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Ireland Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,195
Cornwall Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,715
Cotswolds Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,715
Dordogne Valley Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,715