Our friend Sergio, is passionate about food. (And anyone who’s traveled with him as a guide on our Amalfi Coast tour will chuckle at that understatement.) So when we set out to plan a special itinerary that combines beautiful walks with an emphasis on cooking and culinary traditions, whom did we ask to join us as we sampled our way through the kitchens, gardens and vineyards of the fabled Amalfi Coast? Imagine it: There you are, settled into a lovely hotel in a fishing village on the steep and sunny coastline. You take walks that reveal Positano, Ravello, the Isle of Capri, and even Pompeii with an archaeologist friend of ours. And oh the seafood, the lemons that grow on trees lining the streets, the cheese. We’ve arranged informal cooking sessions in a charming setting with one of our favorite cooks as well as some hands-on tutoring with professional chefs. Like a great Italian meal, this week is a long, happy, satisfying event that you’ll wish would never end.
We meet in Naples (1 night), one of Italy's classic cities (not to mention the birthplace of pizza). From here, we make a short journey to Pompeii. We explore Pompeii with an archeologist friend. Visiting the most famous archaeological site in the world. Buried in volcanic ash in 79 AD, Pompeii is famous for its excavations that reveal a complete city, including streets, shops, buildings and many beautiful villas.
DAYS 2-3 - CAPRI
In the morning, we’ll hop on the ferry and skim out to Capri. Most visitors buzz in and out in one day, but we check in for two nights at the glamorous Quisisana hotel in the heart of the village. After a scenic walk, we relax in a family-run restaurant where we’re welcomed into the kitchen for a tasty lesson in preparing lunch. A chairlift ride up Monte Solaro takes us to the perfect starting point for a stroll high above the sea. Join us for lunch at a private beach club, shop the village’s fine stores, or stretch out at the hotel’s movie-star-worthy pool.
DAYS 4-6 - POSITANO / NAPLES
After a boat ride back to the mainland, we make the world-famous drive to Positano. On a stroll through the little streets of Amalfi, we’ll stop by a medieval paper mill and cap our visit with a limoncello tasting. Later, we’ve arranged a cooking instruction in our friend Antonella’s cliffside home. (You’ll envy the wonderful terrace just outside her kitchen.) We’ll also take the trail to a dramatic cliffside monastery and explore Ravello with its panoramic views of the Bay of Salerno. On our final day, we’ll put on aprons to bake pizza (with the local fior di latte cheese, of course) in a friend’s wood-fired oven while we enjoy a barrel tasting of the family’s wine.
Starting Point:Naples – 1:30 pm – lobby of Grand Hotel Vesuvio
Ending Point:Naples – 6:30 pm – Train Station
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches (cooking instructions), 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.