When we ask our Italian guides where they’d most like to take our friends who think they know Italy on a walking tour we get one response: Puglia. And then they use their hands. To paint a vista of gnarled olive trees silhouetted against a lapis lazuli sea. To express the amazing sunlight. To sketch the saw-toothed skyline of a village comprised entirely of "trulli"—the conical stone roofs unique to the region. You should see a good Italian describe the food you’ll find—pasta from the locally grown wheat, sea-fresh fish, peppery olive oil. The Italians love the heel of their boot and it’s easy to see why. Especially since it’s also a land where you’re as likely to find a Baroque city as a family of shepherds tending 500 sheep. Best of all, Puglia passes the most important Classic Journeys test—it offers fine leisurely walking…elegant accommodations …and a glimpse into a region and culture that’s not quite like any you’ve encountered before.
- Gather at Borgo Egnazia and take a scenic stroll through the nearby ancient Roman ruins and prehistoric cave dwellings.
- From cliff-side lodgings in Matera, explore nearby Alberobello -- a local landmark and the largest collection of conically roofed trulli -- a must-see.
- Walk through cinematic countryside to spend time with owners of a 17th century working farm.
- Visit a family of shepherds near Altamura where our hosts invite us into their kitchen to prepare and eat a typical local lunch of homemade orecchiette pasta, stuffed peppers and pecorino cheese.
- Amble in countryside known for its shimmering silver-leaf olive trees.
- Explore Lecce, the "Florence of the South," from our home, a 16th-century palace.
- Marvel at one of the world's largest mosaic floors, not far away in Otranto's cathedral.
- Journey on foot to visit architect friends and see their stunning renovation of an ancient farmhouse.
Starting Point:Brindisi – 2:00 pm – Lobby of Borgo Egnazia
Ending Point:Brindisi – 1:30 pm – Brindisi Airport
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches (1 cooking instruction), 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.