Most tourists never see Halong Bay in the morning. They miss the fishing junks sliding past limestone spires that thrust from the turquoise water. They can't imagine how the scent of fresh coffee hangs in the air as eagles float overhead. It's an extravagant sensory moment possible only because we spend the night on the water…on a luxury junk. And it's just one unique event we'll share with you in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Of course we visit the great cities of Indochina. But we also stop at the simple homestead of a rice farmer…meet the enormous residents of a Laotian elephant preserve…wander the temples of Angkor with an expert guide…and stay in Indochina’s finest hotels and resorts. Along the way, you’ll wind your way through exotic markets, eat truly remarkable local specialties, and experience the traditional cultures you only find if you approach the region like a traveler, rather than a tourist.
We meet in Saigon (1 night) and we start our time here with a visit to the countryside. Southern Vietnam is a lush, classic landscape, carpeted with rice fields and brightly dressed workers in conical straw hats. From Cai Lay, a small town on the Mekong River, we take a long-tail boat to the start of an ultra-leisurely bike ride into the heart of the Mekong Delta. We see no tourists on narrow country roads that curve past fruit gardens and sleepy villages. Tonight, dinner is at one of the city’s finest French restaurants. Tomorrow go exploring by bike-powered rickshaw. Just outside the city, we visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, the underground refuge for thousands of Viet Cong during the war.
DAYS 2-3 – DANANG
An evening flight takes us to Danang (2 nights) where our resort sits on pristine China Beach. From here, we visit Hoi An for a glimpse of a Vietnam that exists almost nowhere else with Chinese, Japanese and European architecture and a riverfront where boats brim with people and wares. In the afternoon, our guide leads us along footpaths to Hoa Chau, a village in the endless rice fields, for a special insight into the everyday life.
In Hoi An, we stroll through the backstreets of this seaport, imagining what it was like in the 18th century, when it was one of the busiest ports in Asia. With a hand from our guide, you’ll get a chance to shop the local market where the wares range from incense to flowers to betel nuts.
DAYS 4-5 – HANOI
An afternoon flight takes us to Hanoi (2 nights). In the countryside, we walk from a pagoda through bamboo groves to a small village where we visit a local school to interact with the children and their teacher. Back in Hanoi, we’ll stroll in the lovely Old Quarter before dinner at the Press Club, a true local institution.
DAY 6 – HALONG BAY
Halong Bay (1 night) is considered Vietnam’s eighth wonder of the world, and it’s easy to see why. Three thousand chalk and limestone islands sweep like a dragon’s tail across the emerald green bay. From our luxury junk boat, we see local fishermen glide by, selling their catch. On deck, you can join in a cooking demonstration and discover the tasty secrets of spring rolls.
DAYS 7-8 – LUANG PRABANG
Next day, a late afternoon flight leads to Luang Prabang (2 nights) in Laos. From our glamorous colonial-style hotel, we venture into the town’s night market, known for fine ethnic handicrafts. Early risers will witness a moving ritual as lines of barefoot monks walk silently along the streets on their morning alms rounds. Then we visit a 2,000-acre elephant sanctuary in the unspoiled Nam Khan River valley. Spend the afternoon walking along scenic riverside farms and taking a narrow boat back to Luang Prabang, or take our vehicle back to the hotel to relax poolside or even take advantage of the excellent optional spa treatments.
DAYS 9-10 – SIEM REAP
For the week’s grand finale, we fly to Siem Reap (1 night) in Cambodia for a stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor, one of Indochina’s finest properties. You’ll meet our good friend Roath, one of the country’s first and most experienced guides. Sleep in if you like, but it’s worth rising before the sun to see Angkor Wat at daybreak. After breakfast, we all return for an in-depth walking tour of the world’s largest temple. Later, you’ll have time to explore more on your own. We’ll also take in the monastic complex of Preah Khan (The Sacred Sword). Late afternoon, you catch your flight back home.
Starting Point:Saigon – 9:00 am – Lobby of The Reverie Saigon
Ending Point:Siem Reap – 12:30 pm – Lobby of Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
$895: This tour includes flights between Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia for a supplemental cost. (price subject to change)
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It’s why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
- Award-winning boutique hotels and a luxury junk that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 8 lunches and 7 dinners
- Airport transfers in Park Hyatt Saigon and Siem Reap
- Full-time experienced guides who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.