Nepal doesn’t have to be a trek. Of course, you go to see the Himalayas, their snow-capped peaks painted with sun. But best of all, Nepal offers you truly unique cultural and nature experiences, with levels of comfort that exceed your expectations. On this stunning trip, you’ll explore Kathmandu and Bhaktapur, the country’s regal and religious capitals. But you’ll also walk amid terraced rice paddies, chat with farmers, and explore tiny villages overlooked by splendid temples. For an unforgettable wildlife adventure, you’ll strike out on a safari in search of the one-horned rhinoceros in the riverside jungle of Chitwan National Park. Your expert fulltime local guide makes the introductions, explains the history and cultural traditions, and helps you understand what life is like in the shadow of those awe-inspiring peaks. Nepal is spiritual and spirited, a lively and serene land that’s even more than you have imagined.
After meeting in Kathmandu, you’ll strike out for a walk in the city with your local guide. Along the way, you’ll explore the Asan Bazaar, and marvel at the rich collection of traditional buildings in Durbar Square. You’ll also take in the views from the Monkey Temple and enjoy a cooking instruction with a local chef. A walk in the Eastern Valley starts at a 1,500-year-old temple and winds through farmlands and villages ending at Nagarkot, the best spot for viewing the expanse of the Himalayas.
DAYS 3-5 — POKHARA
Your immersion in Nepali life continues with an exploration of the well-preserved royal city of Bhaktapur, where you see the 55-Window Palace and meet the artisans in Pottery Square. From Pokhara, you’ll walk with farmers and dzo and stop in at a small village school to meet the students and teachers.
One morning, you’ll rise early to witness sunrise on the Himalayas, a truly magnificent experience. Later you’ll walk from the shimmering white World Peace Pagoda through the lush Queen’s forest to Phewa Lake where a boat ride awaits.
DAYS 6-8 – CHITWAN NATIONAL FOREST
A brief morning flight takes you to Chitwan, the vast wildlife reserve that’s one of the best in Asia. You’ll meet mahouts and maybe have a chance to interact with their elephants. During a canoe ride on the Rapti river, you may spot crocodiles and storks before watching the sun set over the Himalayan foothills.
The one-horned rhino is the most important animal species in the herd. On a safari today, you’ll have an excellent opportunity to spot them in their habitat, along with barking deer, peacocks and other wildlife. Later, the indigenous Tharu people will welcome you into their forest village where you’ll have a chance to experience their distinctive way of life. The day ends with a delicious Nepali barbecue by the swimming pool at your lodge in Chitwan. Departure is the following morning.
Starting Point:Kathmandu – 9:00 am – Lobby of Dwarika's Hotel
Ending Point:Kathmandu – – Tribhuvan International Airport (KAT)
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
This trip includes internal flights, which are priced separately from the land tour at an approximate cost of $395 per person.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches and 5 dinners including 1 cooking class
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 10 days
- Starting at $5,695
- 7 days
- Starting at $6,495
- 7 days
- Starting at $6,759
- 9 days
- Starting at $6,895