How will you explain Montenegro to your friends who haven’t been (and that will be 99.9% of them)? Do you start with its balmy Adriatic coast, where golden stone villages nestle on secluded, palm-lined bays? You can’t leave out the wild mountains with their sheer canyons and whisper-quiet lakes. You’ll certainly have stories about the hospitable Montenegrins…the olive growers, grappa-makers, shepherds and artists our local guide introduces to you. We think you’ll fall in instant love with this compact Balkan land like we did because it’s still so undiscovered, unexpected and unforgettable. In one easy-going week, we’ll take in UNESCO World Heritage sites, four scenic national parks, chic seaside resorts, and pre-Medieval landmarks. And you’ll come home with the satisfying sense of having fully experienced the culture of a country that most travelers can’t even find on a map.
We meet in the modern capital of Podgorica. After a brief walk, we visit Moraca Monastery with its 13th Century frescoes. En route to the mountain village of Kolasin (2 nights) we’ll stop to wander in a private botanical garden. We’ll drive through the awesome Tara River Canyon—Europe’s deepest—and walk the shores of glacial Black Lake. At the end of a mountaintop path, a family of shepherds welcomes us to lunch at their huts.
DAYS 3-4 - BUDVA
Then we descend to Budva (2 nights) on the lush Adriatic coast. We’ll explore a trail through a valley of ancient mills. By private launch, we’ll glide over the teeming waters of Lake Skadar and take in perfect views of legendary Sveti Stefan. And you’ll meet our friend Boris and learn how he preserves the classic art of mosaics.
DAYS 5-7 - KOTOR
Under a jumble of red-tile roofs, lovely Kotor (2 nights) sits on a fjord-like arm of the Adriatic. From our hotel, we wander (and shop) its narrow medieval streets and cruise out to a tiny island. A walk through olive groves with views of the sea leads us to Ilija’s farmhouse for an olive oil tasting. Our farewell dinner is at one of the country’s best restaurants.
Starting Point:Podgorica – 10:00 am – Lobby of Hotel Podgorica
Ending Point:Kotor or Podgorica – 1:00 pm – Kotor city center
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.