Did you know you can hear the wings of a gliding eagle slip through the high mountain air? That deep-sea fossils hide under the crimson spikes of Indian paintbrush along the shores of high-altitude lakes? That those famous white mountain goats may actually have been transplanted from the Alps? There’s so much to experience on a Glacier National Park vacation that most visitors never even imagine. They drive through and snap some photos. The fanatics strap on heavy backpacks to escape the crowds. But Classic Journeys can show you the intense grandeur and deep solitude of this treasure in unique style. On easy-going walks carefully chosen so you can glory in wildlife and wildflowers. You’ll touch and appreciate Glacier National Park as few people do with a fine mix of outdoor activity and perfectly located lodgings at the end of every exhilarating day.
DAY 1 - WHITEFISH
Our Glacier National Park tours meet in Whitefish (1 night) where a gentle walk with views of the Rockies precedes a festive welcome dinner.
DAYS 2-3 - WEST GLACIER
On our first morning we walk through a beautifully sustained community trail to Swift Creek for a picnic in the forest. From our historic lodge in West Glacier (2 nights), we are off for a day of America's most spectacular scenery on Glacier's Highline Trail. One day, a local friend and member of the Blackfeet Indians joins us and shares the history, mythology and culture of the tribe through songs and stories.
DAYS 4-6 - ST. MARY'S / MANY GLACIER / WHITEFISH
St. Mary's Village (2 nights) rests on the shores of St. Mary's Lake and is the ideal starting point for a series of varied walks and stunning views. At Many Glacier, wildlife sightings—elk, deer, moose, bald eagles—are common on the varied trails we’ve chosen (often with fine picnic spots as our goal). A century ago, railroad barons opened “America’s Little Switzerland” to travelers with amenities including lake steamers. In that tradition, we cruise Swiftcurrent and Josephine Lakes, and take walks that bring to life the history of the local tribes and the mining boom. On our final day, we return to Whitefish.
Starting Point:Whitefish – 2:00 pm – Lobby of hotel
Ending Point:Whitefish – 2:30 pm – Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has named Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
- Well-sited boutique hotels and lodges that provide you unrivaled access to the people and places, culture and natural environment you came to experience
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
- 6 days
- Starting at $3,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,895
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,595
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,495