On a recent Barcelona tour, when we asked our guides how to describe Catalonia to you, they surprised us. "Tell them we are Tuscany, only better." We’ll admit they have a point. Spain’s easternmost province is a sensory revelation that easily equals the best of Italy. The olive groves, the cypress trees that pierce the horizon like leafy exclamation points, and the perched stone villages all shimmer in the region’s incredible light. The aromas of the local markets and the fresh Mediterranean air along the Costa Brava remind you how rich the world really is. And stimulated by walks in rustic countryside or on the cosmopolitan avenues on a cultural tour of Barcelona, your sense of taste will be more than satisfied by the vivid flavors of Catalan cuisine. With all due respect to our guides, this Spain tour offers so much that Tuscany can’t—paths through a park full of extinct volcanoes…a dip in the sea at your private resort…and quirky Art Nouveau architecture that’s a unique trait of this proud region’s DNA. If you have already enjoyed time in Southern Europe’s other favorite regions but don’t want to repeat yourself, make this your next destination. We promise you won’t be disappointed!
You meet in Barcelona (1 night) where you take in the architectural treasures including Gaudi's still-incomplete cathedral, La Sagrada Familia, stroll through the Gothic Quarter, and dinner at one of the city's most renowned paella restaurants.
DAYS 2-3 – GIRONA
You'll be forgiven if you think you've accidentally ended up in Tuscany, as a mid-day walk leads you through rolling hills and on to the scenic countryside in northern Catalonia (2 nights). Your hotel is a magnificent Patrician villa with a salt water swimming pool and the casual vibe of country life. You'll explore the medieval towns of the Empordà region, visit with a local potter at his workshop and enjoy traditional Catalan cuisine.
DAYS 4-7 – PLATJA D'ARO / BARCELONA
We've scouted a wonderful trail that takes us into the remote village of Girona, where houses seem to tilt over the River Onyar. And in plenty of time for an afternoon swim, you settle into the luxurious seaside resort at Platja d'Aro that is your home for the next three days.
You'll strike out on our guide's favorite walk past streams and olive groves en route to a village carved out of sheer rock. There's time for a visit to the outlandish Dali museum in Figueres as well. Our final full day is dedicated to the coastal trails of the Costa Brava—from Cap Roig's promontory and botanical garden, along white sand beaches, to the pastel-colored fishing village of Llafranc. On your final morning, you'll return to Barcelona before parting company.
Starting Point:Barcelona – 2:30 pm – Lobby of Duquesa de Cardona
Ending Point:Barcelona – 1:00 pm – Downtown
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before final payment is due.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
- All breakfasts and 5 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Tuscany & the Cinque Terre Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,895
Andalucia Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,695
Basque Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,695
Provence Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,715