On a launch approaching the Amalfi Coast at the start of our tours, you face a startling sight— like oversized rock climbers, gleaming villas cling with no visible foothold to the sheer cliffs. You have to ask yourself how…why? But when you swing open the shutters in your cliffside hotel room, the jaw-dropping view is all the answer you need. Situated on the "ankle" of the Italian boot, Amalfi has a balmy climate. Orange trees line village streets. Breezy seaside footpaths around Positano encourage a nice slow pace perfect for absorbing the atmosphere. We also settle in for two mellow days on the glorious island of Capri—one of our favorite places in Italy. We make time for Pompeii, and unlike most visitors, you'll see Amalfi in the best way—in the company of an Italian friend who knows the ins and outs of life on the edge of the sea. See Sicily, too! Our Sicily tour starts the day after Amalfi ends. Pair up the two for an amazing Italian vacation. Call 800.200.3887 for details.
• Join an archaeologist friend to explore Pompeii's excavations that reveal a complete city, including streets, shops, buildings and many beautiful villas.
• Skim across the bay by ferry to Capri to enjoy it as only the locals do, with leisurely overnights in a luxurious hotel with views to Roman emperor Tiberius' villa and the sparkling blue sea.
• Walk a footpath along the coast to the villa where Churchill and Eisenhower managed much of WWII.
• Enjoy the views from a 14th-century monastery atop Monte Solaro, then walk past fields of wildflowers down to the sea for lunch at a private beach club on the backside of the island in exclusive Marina Piccola.
• En route to Positano, follow the spectacular Amalfi coast to our cliffside hotel built in the 17th century.
• Enjoy a scenic walk past lemon trees, waterfalls and the cinematic ruins of medieval papermaking mills.
• Follow in the footsteps of the ancients who were inspired to name their trails such things as "Path of the Gods."
• Learn how to make the iconic lemon liquor from the artisans at a tiny limoncello factory in Ravello before drinking in the stupendous views from Villa Rufolo.
• Toast our week together with a pizza making instruction overlooking the sea.
Starting Point:Naples – 12:30 pm – Lobby of Grand Hotel Vesuvio
Ending Point:Naples – 6:30 pm – Train Station
Dates & Prices
The earlier you book, the more choice you’ll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won’t be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
- Experience Amalfi on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region, including parts of ‘The Path of the Gods’ to Ravello and on the flower-filled slopes known only to locals on Capri.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, sharing their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the Amalfi Coast and Capri.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of 10 guests per departure means we can offer you ‘only with Classic Journeys’ access to experiences like a private cooking instruction at a family estate on the Sorrentine Peninsula, a visit to Pompeii with an archaeologist, and a private boat exploration along Amalfi Coast.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations. Our decades-long relationships mean you get ‘only with Classic Journeys’ overnights in both Positano and Capri.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From a cooking instruction and limoncello making with a family on their estate, to coveted local restaurants along the Amalfi Coast, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know the Amalfi Coast and Capri more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Regenerative Travel that supports the history, culture, people and places you’re visiting with us along the Amalfi Coast. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live here. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
We spend years cultivating personal relationships with our hoteliers to provide you thoughtfully selected accommodations that reveal the true character of the region. Here is a sampling of our favorite hotels on this tour.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch (cooking instruction), 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,895
- 7 days
- Starting at $6,695
- 7 days
- Starting at $6,395
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,725