On a launch approaching the Amalfi Coast, you face a startling sight — like oversized rock climbers, gleaming villas cling with no visible foothold to the sheer cliffs. You have to ask yourself how…why? But when you swing open the shutters in your cliffside hotel room, the jaw-dropping view is all the answer you need. Situated on the "ankle" of the Italian boot, Amalfi has a balmy climate. Orange trees line village streets. Breezy seaside footpaths around Positano (with names like ‘The Path of the Gods’) encourage cinematic walks that are perfect for absorbing the atmosphere. We also settle in for two days on the glorious island of Capri — one of our favorite places in Italy. We make time for Pompeii, and unlike most visitors, you’ll see Amalfi in the best way — on foot and at eye level in the company of an Italian friend who knows the ins and outs of life on the edge of the sea.
- Join an archaeologist friend to explore Pompeii's excavations that reveal a complete city, including streets, shops, buildings and many beautiful villas.
- Skim across the bay by ferry to Capri to enjoy it as only the locals do, with leisurely overnights in a luxurious hotel with views to Roman emperor Tiberius' villa and the sparkling blue sea.
- Walk a footpath along the coast to the villa where Churchill and Eisenhower managed much of WWII.
- Enjoy the views from a 14th-century monastery atop Monte Solaro, then walk past fields of wildflowers down to the sea for lunch at a private beach club on the backside of the island in exclusive Marina Piccola.
- En route to Positano, follow the spectacular Amalfi coast to our cliffside hotel built in the 17th century.
- Enjoy a scenic walk past lemon trees, waterfalls and the cinematic ruins of medieval papermaking mills.
- Follow in the footsteps of the ancients who were inspired to name their trails such things as "Path of the Gods."
- Learn how to make the iconic lemon liquor from the artisans at a tiny limoncello factory in Ravello before drinking in the stupendous views from Villa Rufolo.
- Toast our week together with a pizza making instruction overlooking the sea.
Starting Point:Naples – 1:30 pm – Lobby of Grand Hotel Vesuvio
Ending Point:Naples – 6:30 pm – Train Station
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch (cooking instruction), 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,895
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,995
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,795
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,725