In Switzerland, even the views have views. As you explore the region of the Bernese Oberland, you quickly come to realize that every valley boasts a snow-capped backdrop, every peak lets you see farther than your eye can believe. You’ll head to the top on cog trains, cable cars and chair lifts. You’ll walk on a glacier, stroll in wildflower meadows, and cruise on glacier-fed lakes that mirror the Jungfrau and Eiger. Then you discover the warm, up-close and very human scale of Switzerland as well. Your fulltime local guide will introduce you to farmers who make their own cheese, traditional weavers, silhouette cutters and the residents of a village so remote that no cars can reach them. Accommodations are in an atmospheric pair of luxury hotels that put you in a chalet frame of mind. And the food? Whether you’re lunching on a mountaintop, heading out for a culinary hike, or sipping wine in the alpenglow, you’ll discover the happy things that alpine air can do for your appetite.
DAYS 1-4 – GRINDELWALD /INTERLAKEN
Meet in Grindelwald. Our friends cook us an outdoor lunch over a wood fire – then harness up their unexpected herd of llamas so we can go for a mini-trek. A chance to explore the Castle of Spiez is followed by a steamboat ride on Lake Thun. Then it’s off to Interlaken. A funicular delivers us up to a high meadow for a walk to Mürren, a village so high that there are no cars.
You’ll also lunch at a revolving restaurant made famous in a James Bond movie, and visit spectacular Trümmelbach Falls, the most impressive falls in the Bernese Oberland. After breakfast at a private farm where they milk cows and make cheese, you’ll ascend to Lake Bachalspee for a stroll around its calm, reflective waters.
DAYS 5-6 – SCHONRIED
You’ll journey to Lenk and further up into the high valley of Iffigen, where an awesome 267-foot-high waterfall practically bursts from a mountain and foams its way down to your feet. Mountain trails are a remarkable setting for a culinary walk that includes a sky-high lunch on an Alpine terrace.
For an experience like no other, you will take a guided glacier walk to a suspension bridge between two peaks, ride a chairlift to a lunch overlooking the Matterhorn. Back down in the valley, you’ll meet an expert in silhouette cutting. Add cap the day with visits to a bakery and chocolatier.
Starting Point:Grindelwald – 9:00 am – Lobby of Hotel Kreuz and Post
Ending Point:Schonried – 3:00 pm – Hotel Alpenrose
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here’s what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it’s closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you’re exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World’s Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you’re visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It’s your guarantee that you’ll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfast, 3 lunches and 2 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Amalfi Coast Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,995
Norway Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,895
Italian Lakes Cultural Walking Adventure
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,925
Provence Cultural Walking Adventure
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,715