Celebrate the warmth, colorful tradition and shimmering sense of expectation that can only be found in Europe’s most legendary Christmas markets. This remarkable trip takes you to the finest ones in Prague, Vienna and Budapest and, en route, it offers a lovely, more intimate contrast with smaller-town fairs in Cesky Krumlov and Ceské Budejovice in the Czech Republic. You’ll almost feel like you’re time traveling as you explore cities that have remained remarkably unchanged over the centuries. And with your friendly local guides, you’ll learn about the vivid history, experience rich cultural traditions, and get just the kind of advice you want if you’re shopping the stalls or looking for the perfect wooden toys, Bohemian crystal or even fresh-baked holiday pastry. There’s no more perfect way to capture the season’s spirit…and immerse yourself in a holiday shopping expedition like no other!
- Imperial Prague is one of Europe's most beautiful cities, so we'll spend an easy afternoon discovering its bridges, cobblestone alleyways and magnificent Old Town.
- Enjoy our first Christmas Market this evening after dinner.
- Join your guide for an exploration of Cesky Krumlov's special wonders: the massive castle that dates back to the 13th century.
- Stroll the narrow streets of Salzburg, a remarkably preserved village now recognized as a historic site. With your guide, experience the lively Christmas market is held in the town square.
- There is no finer expression of the power and glory of Imperial Vienna that Schönbrunn Palace, and it is the spectacular centerpiece of a day full of memorable activities.
- Explore the palace on a privately guided tour and then wander through the most romantic of all of the Viennese holiday markets that happens right here in front of the palace.
- Promenade along the Danube in Budapest
- Ramble along the Danube River in Budapest, walking from the Royal Palace in Buda to Europe's largest synagogue and a district overflowing with cafes and musicians in Pest.
Starting Point:Prague – 12:00 pm – Lobby of Hotel Pariz
Ending Point:Budapest – 9:00 am – lobby of Corinthia Hotel
Why Choose Classic Journeys
Travel + Leisure has awarded Classic Journeys the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times and says, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Memorable meals that include all breakfasts, 1 lunch, and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
- Award-winning accommodations at luxury boutique hotels
Above & Beyond Benefits
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.