The wildly popular book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has inspired any number of pilgrimages to the coastal South. But our journey digs deeper than the guidebook landmarks. Of course, we walk our fair share of moss-draped lanes – but instead of admiring fine restorations of prosperous homes from the outside, we go in for private tours. We go back in time and relive famed battles at Fort Pulaski and wander around one of the world’s most beautiful cemeteries. To our mind, there’s just no other region in America with such a distinctive meld of history, climate and way of life, and we’ll share it all with you in gracious style.
We meet in Charleston for an afternoon promenade around the city and its beautiful harbor.
Moss-draped live oaks shade the riverside footpath to Drayton Hall where a National Trust guide gives us a private tour of the fine plantation house. At Middleton Place, we wander in the country's oldest landscaped gardens. Then you can visit one of Charleston's historic museums or get in some shopping before dinner in one of the Historic District's acclaimed restaurants.
DAYS 4-5 - SAVANNAH
Leaving Charleston behind, we'll stop at the ruins of Old Sheldon Church and explore Beaufort's downtown. The Gullah culture—based on African traditions—flourished nearby, and we'll get a fascinating glimpse into this unique way of life.
We arrive in Savannah. Our rambles here include a guided exploration of Fort Pulaski, site of an important Civil War battle.
On our final morning, we tour the landmarks featured in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before parting company.
Starting Point:Charleston – 1:00 pm – Lobby of Belmond Charleston Place
Ending Point:Savannah – 12:00 pm – Savannah hotel lobby
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.