We remember our first time in Vermont. The quiet little lane. The green hills that backed up to the barn with the grove of maples that led to the clapboard house with the big porch. The farmer with the smile and a tip of the cap. We’ll never forget the stillness, the absence of rush, the ten pictures we took of one scene hoping we could somehow capture it. The true appeal of Vermont is that none of that has changed. Whether we’re visiting a sugarmaker, exploring the woodlands and the valleys, strolling a village square, or watching Morgan colts frolic in a white-fenced pasture, the peace is authentic. The beauty is un-retouched. This journey ranges through terrains of town and country that you can hardly believe still exist in America. But they do. Clocks tick just as fast here, but you’ll slow down. And, if you’re like us, after a day outdoors and dinner by the fireplace, you’ll sleep as you haven’t slept for years.
We meet in Burlington for a lively waterfront walk along Lake Champlain with views of the Adirondacks to the west.
A short drive away, Stowe (2 nights) is our base for forays into classic New England. One dramatic walk includes Smugglers’ Notch and the expansive views of birch and maple forests to Bingham Falls.
DAYS 2-3 – STOWE / MONTPELIER
We’ll visit the fragrant Hill Farmstead Brewery, and accompany a naturalist along the trails surrounding the Trapp Family Lodge.
In the state capital of Montpelier, we take a walk through the town takes us past the bustling Main and State streets to the Vermont State House, and If you like, climb up the 50ft stone tower for a 360° view of the city. we experience one of Vermont’s finest sights—the covered bridge. Northfield has the largest cluster of covered bridges in Vermont. We then visit Lincoln Peak Vineyard, for tastings and a tour of the operations.
DAYS 4-5 - MIDDLEBURY / BURLINGTON
With Vermont being famous for their maple syrup, it is only fitting that we stop for a visit to a sugar house to see how it is made. Later, you will enjoy a picnic lunch comprised of meats and cheeses from local cheesemakers while taking in scenic views. After a hike up the Falls of Lana in the Green Mountain National Forest, we head back into town for the farewell dinner.
On our final day, enjoy a morning sunrise and stock up on maple syrup, before returning to Burlington.
Starting Point:Burlington – 9:00 am – Lobby of Hilton Burlington Lake Champlain
Ending Point:Burlington – 12:00 pm – Burlington Airport (BTV)
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 2 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.