Istanbul is our exotic, sensory-overloading introduction to Turkey. But the coast has always held a special allure for us, so we also take four leisurely days to explore it aboard a 100-foot teakwood yacht known as a “gulet.” On board, we live in comfortable cabins with private baths. Roaming from one quiet bay to the next. Snorkeling over water-covered ruins. Walking on shore to remarkable sites like Ephesus and Caunos. Always with the decadent option of staying "at home" for a nap or a swim in the 75-degree waters. And no adventure travel in Turkey is truly complete until you take in the fabled Silk Road to the heart of Cappadocia, land of whirling dervishes and ancient underground cities. If you’ve been longing for one of the most memorable destinations of your life, you’ve found it!
We begin in Istanbul (1 night) where our guided visits include the Blue Mosque, lunch at Topkapi Palace and the Hagia Sophia, one of the architectural wonders of the world.
DAYS 2-5 - TURQUOISE COAST
After a short plane ride to Dalaman, we settle into our teakwood yacht to cruise the Mediterranean coastline (4 nights). Staying close to shore on calm waters provides us unparalleled access to a number of people and places that are almost impossible to reach by land. With our captain, chef and crew looking after us, we'll thread our way through beautiful islands, anchor in remote bays, and snorkel in a cobalt blue lagoon. One day, we meander up a reed-filled estuary to spot endangered sea turtles and visit Caunos to see its Ottoman fortress. We'll also end a walk along the coast at a natural harbor with ruins of sunken Roman baths and relax over lunch with a village family.
DAY 6 - KUSADASI
Waving farewell to our yacht, we explore the classical ruins of Ephesus, regarded as the world's finest, and overnight in Kusadasi (1 night) on the cliffs above the sea.
DAYS 7-9 - CAPPADOCIA / ISTANBUL
From Marmaris, a short morning flight leads to Cappadocia (2 nights). Walks lead us through vineyard-filled valleys, along ancient caravan routes, and finally to a nearly unimaginable underground city dating to the 7th century. After visiting a potter-friend in Avanos, we leave time for shopping before we return to Istanbul on an afternoon flight.
Starting Point:Istanbul – 2:00 pm – Lobby of Rixos Pera Hotel
Ending Point:Istanbul – 6:00 pm – Istanbul Airport
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
This trip includes several internal flights which are priced separately from the land tour at an approximate cost of $535 per person.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches and all dinners, as well as open bar with all local drinks while on the gulet
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,795
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,595
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,395
- 7 days
- Starting at $5,195