If you plan to arrive in advance of the beginning of your Classic Journey, join us for this 2-day, 2-night exploration of Tokyo and the surrounding region. You’ll go exploring in a suburban neighborhood that preserves the pre-war Japanese way of life and visit one of the vanishing breed of street markets. Then you’ll see the spiritual face of the land on a daylong visit to Mt. Nokogiri, one of the country’s most sacred sites just across the bay from the city. These fascinating days take you beyond the city’s bustling modern veneer to reveal the roots of Japanese culture.
This afternoon, we’ll step beyond the super-modern metropolis to Yanaka, a neighborhood that survived WW II intact. We’ll also go for a guided stroll in Ueno Park, a popular site for cherry blossom parties in Tokyo. Originally part of Kaneiji Temple, a family temple of the ruling Tokugawa clan during the Edo Period, the grounds attract locals and your guide will show you its favorite attractions. To round out your introduction to Tokyo, we visit Ueno’s Ameyoko-cho, a busy street market underneath the train lines.
DAY 2 – MT. NOKOGIRI
We journey to the opposite of Tokyo Bay to the sacred sawtooth mountain known as Nokogiri in Chiba Prefecture. In total contrast to the city, today we’ll follow winding forested paths serenaded by birds to the mountain’s top. We’ll see the towering Hyaku-Shaku Kannon Buddha, carved directly into the rock face. And we’ll visit the Nihon-ji Temple complex, founded in 725. Stone paths and staircases criss-cross the mountain and wind around clusters of Buddhist statues.
Starting Point:Tokyo – 1:00 pm – Tokyo hotel lobby
Ending Point:Tokyo – 5:00 pm – Tokyo hotel lobby
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- 1 breakfast
- Full-time experienced guide
- Admissions to sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- All land transportation during the trip including arrival transfer from Narita Airport
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.