If you plan to arrive in advance of the beginning of your Classic Journey, join us for this 2-day, 2-night exploration of Tokyo and the surrounding region. You’ll go exploring in a suburban neighborhood that preserves the pre-war Japanese way of life and visit one of the vanishing breed of street markets. Then you’ll see the spiritual face of the land on a daylong visit to Mt. Nokogiri, one of the country’s most sacred sites just across the bay from the city. These fascinating days take you beyond the city’s bustling modern veneer to reveal the roots of Japanese culture.
This afternoon, we’ll step beyond the super-modern metropolis to Yanaka, a neighborhood that survived WW II intact. We’ll also go for a guided stroll in Ueno Park, a popular site for cherry blossom parties in Tokyo. Originally part of Kaneiji Temple, a family temple of the ruling Tokugawa clan during the Edo Period, the grounds attract locals and your guide will show you its favorite attractions. To round out your introduction to Tokyo, we visit Ueno’s Ameyoko-cho, a busy street market underneath the train lines.
DAY 2 – MT. NOKOGIRI
We journey to the opposite of Tokyo Bay to the sacred sawtooth mountain known as Nokogiri in Chiba Prefecture. In total contrast to the city, today we’ll follow winding forested paths serenaded by birds to the mountain’s top. We’ll see the towering Hyaku-Shaku Kannon Buddha, carved directly into the rock face. And we’ll visit the Nihon-ji Temple complex, founded in 725. Stone paths and staircases criss-cross the mountain and wind around clusters of Buddhist statues.
Starting Point:Tokyo – 1:00 pm – Tokyo hotel lobby
Ending Point:Tokyo – 5:00 pm – Tokyo hotel lobby
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- Award-winning boutique hotels that provide you unlimited access to the people and places, culture and history you came to experience
- 1 breakfast
- Full-time experienced guide
- Admissions to sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- All land transportation during the trip including arrival transfer from Narita Airport
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.