Thailand’s public face boasts showy gold temples and Instagram worthy beaches. You want to see them, and we’ll be sure you do. But the secret to Thailand is to shift your focus a few degrees, allowing the local people to share with you the richness of this dazzling land. You’ll sail on a traditional junk boat through glorious Phang Nga Bay to James Bond Island. You’ll visit an elephant camp deep in foothills of Chiang Rai to meet the mahouts, men who are more the partners than the masters of the revered animals. Walks take you from dike-top paths in emerald rice paddies to remote villages where proud hill tribes practice ancient traditions and crafts. You’ll receive the blessing of saffron-robed Buddhist monks at an early morning alms-giving…glide over rivers in classic long-tail boats…and be welcomed into one of the country’s finest kitchens. Because Thailand has a long history of hospitality to travelers, your accommodations here are especially fine—soothing ends to stimulating days.
We meet in exotic Phuket, the largest island in Thailand, with generous time for scenic beaches to spectacular viewpoints, a walk to Big Buddha at Chalong and a full day Phang-Nga Bay private cruise onboard a traditional junk boat.
DAYS 3-4 - CHIANG MAI
A brief air hop delivers us to Chiang Mai and your temple-style hotel. On foot, you’ll explore the fine archaeological sites at Wiang Kum Kam and time your visit to a Buddhist temple to offer alms to monks. You’ll also enjoy a delicious cooking lesson at The Farm before your ascent by trail or by funicular to Wat Doi Suthep.
DAYS 5-7 - CHIANG RAI
You’ll settle into your spa hotel, overlooking the hills of Laos. An array of activities here includes demonstrations of Siamese arts such as silk weaving and pottery. On your last day, you'll learn how the Dara Camp contributes to Thailand's elephant conservation.
Starting Point:Phuket – 9:00am – Lobby of Anantara Layan
Ending Point:Chiang Rai – 9:00am – Chiang Rai Airport
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners, 1 cooking instruction lunch
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 10 days
- Starting at $5,495
- 7 days
- Starting at $6,495
- 9 days
- Starting at $6,595
- 8 days
- Starting at $5,595