It’s amazing. An adobe wall changes colors constantly…amber at dawn, fiery at sunset, powder gray in moonlight. That trick of light and nature drew Georgia O’Keeffe, Ansel Adams and generations of other artists to New Mexico. But it’s just one of the reasons we love it here. Every view seems to have a backdrop of mountains. The air is clear, and the walking—from sage-strewn plateaus to the art-lined streets—is the equal of anyplace we’ve traveled. No other region in the U.S. has been inhabited so long by peoples who left such visible records of their times. Centuries of Native American, Hispanic and Anglo cultures have weathered well, and we take the chance to explore them all. You just can’t imagine your first glimpse of a cliff dwelling from the floor of a gorge or the privilege of entering a pueblo with a Taos Indian friend as our guide. Beware: if you enjoy art, architecture and fine regional food, you’ll never want this Classic Journey to end.
DAYS 1-2 - SANTA FE
We gather in Santa Fe (2 nights) for an introductory walk that highlights its spectacular adobe architecture, including the Palace of the Governors, America’s oldest public building erected in 1610. Our welcome dinner is in one of the city’s world-class Southwestern restaurants.
On a morning walk, we explore the Anasazi’s 900-year-old cliff dwellings in Bandelier National Monument—even climbing short ladders to rooms built into a sheer canyon wall. Modern pueblo life is the subject later as we visit the home of the San Ildefonso Indians. Of all of New Mexico’s artists, Georgia O’Keeffe is surely the best known. We take a private tour of her home and studio in Abiquiu and follow a trail through juniper and piñon pines to Chimney Rock at Ghost Ranch.
DAYS 3-6 - TAOS
En route to Taos (3 nights), we drive through red-rock canyons…accompany a native guide on a tour of Taos Pueblo, a U.N. World Heritage Site…and a rimside walk along the Rio Grande Gorge. We’ve allowed a whole day to take in the glories of Taos, from historic highlights like Kit Carson’s adobe home to the fine galleries and shops.
On our final day, we travel the scenic High Road back to Santa Fe, with a stop en route at Chimayó, renowned for its weavings and a chapel known as the Lourdes of the Southwest.
Starting Point:Santa Fe – 1:00 pm – Lobby of Inn On The Alameda
Ending Point:Santa Fe – 12:00 pm – Downtown
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch, and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $3,995
- 6 days
- Starting at $4,495
- 6 days
- Starting at $5,695