On our wonderful (and slightly decadent) journey to the French heartlands, you’ll live the good life like never before. Burgundy is France’s “breadbasket,” the perfect blend of classic French villages, rolling terrain with a patchwork of forests and vineyards, and the country’s most remarkable cuisine. Just when it seems like it couldn’t get any better, we enter the Loire Valley and—in keeping with the region’s opulent reputation—take up residence in our own château. From our gracious home base, we’ll meander out for some gorgeous walks and explore the stupendous “getaway cottages” that bedeck the river’s banks. If you love to take your time when you travel and soak up your surroundings, this is the perfect place to be!
We meet in Dijon (3 nights) for a guided exploration of this historic and culinary capital of the region. The tempo in Burgundy is nice and easy as you’ll discover on a series of lovely country walks. On one of our favorites, we explore the fortified village of Chateauneuf-en-Auxois with panoramic views from the moat-side path. With our guide, we also taste the wines of the Côtes de Nuits vineyards. In the medieval town of Beaune, you’ll have time to roam and shop on our own.
DAYS 4-7 - LOIRE / TOURS
Entering the luxuriant Loire Valley and our château home for the next 3 nights, our first destination is Chenonceaux. The stately château is one of the world's most famous. We've reserved time for a visit there as well as a lovely walk along the banks of the Cher River. We'll leave time for Château de Cheverny with its remarkable furniture collection. From here, we stroll in magnificent Château Villandry's sculpted flower gardens, then rest and refuel over a farmhouse lunch.
Near Amboise, an amble through scenic countryside includes the option of visiting Le Clos Lucé, the last home of Leonardo da Vinci, which today holds many of his inventions and original drawings. On our last day we part company in Tours, just an hour from Paris by train.
Starting Point:Dijon – 2:00 pm – Dijon rail station
Ending Point:Tours – 12:00 pm – St. Pierre des Corps rail station
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.