On our wonderful (and slightly decadent) journey to the French heartlands, you’ll live the good life like never before. Burgundy is France’s “breadbasket,” the perfect blend of classic French villages, rolling terrain with a patchwork of forests and vineyards, and the country’s most remarkable cuisine. Just when it seems like it couldn’t get any better, we enter the Loire Valley and—in keeping with the region’s opulent reputation—take up residence in our own château. From our gracious home base, we’ll meander out for some gorgeous walks and explore the stupendous “getaway cottages” that bedeck the river’s banks. If you love to take your time when you travel and soak up your surroundings, this is the perfect place to be!
We meet in Dijon (3 nights) for a guided exploration of this historic and culinary capital of the region. The tempo in Burgundy is nice and easy as you’ll discover on a series of lovely country walks. On one of our favorites, we explore the fortified village of Chateauneuf-en-Auxois with panoramic views from the moat-side path. With our guide, we also taste the wines of the Côtes de Nuits vineyards. In the medieval town of Beaune, you’ll have time to roam and shop on our own.
DAYS 4-7 - LOIRE / TOURS
Entering the luxuriant Loire Valley and our château home for the next 3 nights, our first destination is Chenonceaux. The stately château is one of the world's most famous. We've reserved time for a visit there as well as a lovely walk along the banks of the Cher River. We'll leave time for Château de Cheverny with its remarkable furniture collection. From here, we stroll in magnificent Château Villandry's sculpted flower gardens, then rest and refuel over a farmhouse lunch.
Near Amboise, an amble through scenic countryside includes the option of visiting Le Clos Lucé, the last home of Leonardo da Vinci, which today holds many of his inventions and original drawings. On our last day we part company in Tours, just an hour from Paris by train.
Starting Point:Dijon – 2:00 pm – Dijon rail station
Ending Point:Tours – 12:00 pm – St. Pierre des Corps rail station
Why Choose Classic Journeys
We believe in creating authentic connections by immersing you into the history and culture of a people and place. So we find the most well-connected local guides who share their relationships and knowledge with us. And with them, we handcraft walking tours in cinematic settings that allow you to see the world on foot and at eye level.
It's why Travel + Leisure magazine has named Classic Journeys as the #1 World's Best Tour Operator multiple times, and the editors of T+L say, "Classic Journeys provides unbeatable access to experiences around the globe." Here's what that access means for you every time you travel with us.
- Experience the world on foot and at eye level. Each day, join your guide on the most cinematic footpaths in the region.
- Exceptional full-time local guides who become your well-connected friend. Our amazing guides are with you throughout each day of the tour, share their lifelong connections as well as engaging anecdotes about the history and culture of the region.
- Small groups that provide you unrivaled access. An average of fewer than 10 guests per departure means we can offer you special access to sites like Stonehenge so you experience the stone circle when it's closed to the general public, a guided visit to Zion Narrows that other companies cannot arrange because of larger group sizes, and vineyard walks with a count and countess in Tuscany.
- Award-winning hotels are waiting for you at the end of every day. Luxuriate in the finest and most distinctive accommodations in the region you're exploring, including rainforest lodges, 16th century villas, and award-winning properties that show up on World's Best and Gold lists.
- Eat like (and with) the locals. Food is a foolproof way into the hearts, homes and history of the places you visit with us. From gourmet picnics to coveted local restaurants, our meals offer you opportunities to explore native food traditions and fine dining.
- Handcrafted itineraries with all activities included. With our long-term friendships, we know our walking tour regions more personally than anyone else. So you get thoughtfully curated itineraries that combine explorations of the villages, organic farms, archeological sites and the people who know them best.
- Sustainable travel that supports the places you're visiting. We put our local currency into the pockets of the people who live where we travel. It's your guarantee that you'll have authentic, up-close experiences on your trip. Best of all, our person-to-person approach helps sustain their ways of life.
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch and 4 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.
Wine on Us
- In many regions, we uncork wonderful local wines at every dinner, compliments of Classic Journeys.
Perfect Pairings Dinners
- A special dinner prepared by one of our favorite chefs with a procession of wines tailored to each course.