The wildly popular book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has inspired any number of pilgrimages to the coastal South. But our journey digs deeper than the guidebook landmarks. Of course, we walk our fair share of moss-draped lanes – but instead of admiring fine restorations of prosperous homes from the outside, we go in for private tours. We go back in time and relive famed battles at Fort Pulaski and wander around one of the world’s most beautiful cemeteries. To our mind, there’s just no other region in America with such a distinctive meld of history, climate and way of life, and we’ll share it all with you in gracious style.
We meet in Charleston for an afternoon promenade around the city and its beautiful harbor.
Moss-draped live oaks shade the riverside footpath to Drayton Hall where a National Trust guide gives us a private tour of the fine plantation house. At Middleton Place, we wander in the country's oldest landscaped gardens. Then you can visit one of Charleston's historic museums or get in some shopping before dinner in one of the Historic District's acclaimed restaurants.
DAYS 4-5 - SAVANNAH
Leaving Charleston behind, we'll stop at the ruins of Old Sheldon Church and explore Beaufort's downtown. The Gullah culture—based on African traditions—flourished nearby, and we'll get a fascinating glimpse into this unique way of life.
We arrive in Savannah. Our rambles here include a guided exploration of Fort Pulaski, site of an important Civil War battle.
On our final morning, we tour the landmarks featured in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before parting company.
Starting Point:Charleston – 1:00 pm – Lobby of Belmond Charleston Place
Ending Point:Savannah – 12:00 pm – Savannah hotel lobby
Dates & Prices
Not ready to book just yet? Talk with one of our travel experts at 800-200-3887.Talk to an expert
Select our “Family Departure” to travel with other families.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
- Full-time experienced guide(s) who are with you throughout the trip and handle behind-the-scenes logistics
- Admissions to tastings, historic sites and other scheduled events as noted in the detailed daily itinerary
- Gratuities for hotels, meals, and baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
Above & Beyond Benefits
- When your group arrives, we whisk you and your bags to your room immediately. No waiting – no tipping.
Privileged Access Events
- One-of-a-kind access to remarkable people, places and activities arranged just for you.